The warm weather is coming, I promise [well I hope]. As it does, there will be two equally strong pulls on us as we sit at our desks, and look out at a sunbathed city [or an Instagram facsimile because we don't have a office with a window]...
- I need to work hard over lunch so I can get out of here and enjoy the sights and sounds of a New York summer
- I can't wait to use my flex Friday to get out of the city, to the beach, the park, or anywhere other than the rat race.
While we need those escapes and retreats to decompress, what would it look like to think differently about our working lunch or our flex Friday? What would it look like to include opportunities over our lunch break or shorter week to serve those who can't escape and those who continue to face the harsh realities of a hot, hungry and perhaps homeless summer?
Here are three ways [among many others] to reshape your summer breakfast, lunch and dinner plans around serving those in need.
- Bowery Mission
- Take a lunch break, [and considering inviting co-workers] and head to the Bowery to help serve lunch as they provide meals for almost 1000 individuals daily. Contact them HERE for more information
- New York Rescue Mission
- Cut out early [make sure to ask your boss] and help serve meals as the Rescue Mission serves dinner to over 300 individuals in need every day - [Times: Monday - Friday 4:30 pm - 7:00 pm]
- Use that half-day Friday to help prepare food for the daily lunch and dinners at the mission [Times: Monday - Friday 10 am - 1 pm]
- More information is available by clicking the Rescue Mission link above
- Recovery House of Worship
- RHOW serves upwards of 60 men and women breakfast Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays from 8:00AM - 10:00AM - Contact Pedro to find out more about how to help